Sunday, December 15, 2019

Psalm 137

By the rivers of Babylon we sat
And shed tears as we remembered Zion.
There upon poplar boughs we hung our harps,
For our captors demanded a song from us.
Our tormentors wanted a joyful tune.
“Sing to us,” they said, “a song of Zion.”

How, we asked, can we sing a song
Of Zion in a foreign land?
If I forget you, Jerusalem,
May my right hand forget how to play.
May my tongue stick to my palate,
If I do not remember you,
If I do not raise Jerusalem
Above my greatest source of joy.

Remember, O Jehovah, what the people
Of Edom said when Jerusalem was seized.
“Tear it down!  Raze it to its foundations.”

O Babylon, doomed to be despoiled,
Blessed is he who repays you
For the things you have done to us.
Blessed who seizes your babies
And dashes them against the rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment