Friday, December 27, 2019

Psalm 151

By David, son of Jesse

I was the smallest of my brothers,
The youngest of my father’s sons.
He made me shepherd of his flock.

My hands fashioned a lute, my fingers a lyre.
Let me glorify Jehovah, I mused.

The mountains cannot witness God,
Nor can the hills give voice to him.

Who can proclaim the deeds of Jehovah? 
Jehovah himself, for he hears everything.

Jehovah sent his prophet, Samuel,
To take me away from my father’s sheep,
To anoint me and endow me with greatness.

My brothers went out to meet him.
Well built and good-looking were they,
Tall of stature with fine heads of hair.
But Jehovah did not chose them.

Instead God made me the leader of his people,
Ruler over the children of the covenant.

I went out to confront the Philistine,
Who cursed me in the name of his idols.
I drew his own sword and cut off his head
And removed the shame from the Israelites.

This supernumerary psalm (generally termed #151), though considered apocryphal, is included in the Septuagint, the Greek version of the Bible, is part of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and is accepted by Orthodox churches as canonical.   This translation is a synthesis of several versions existent of the psalm.

No comments:

Post a Comment